CDO 1091/92-2 Jacopo Foroni: Cristina Regina di Svezia (Historical-Lyrical Drama in five parts and three acts) The Göteborg Opera Orchestra and Chorus - Tobias Ringborg
An Opera Sensation
It is difficult to call this opera anything else. The story in short:
Jacopo Foroni (1825 - 1858) arrived here 1849 from Italy. He became somewhat of a pioneer at the Stockholm Opera.
In the short span of his life he managed to raise the level of the performances and writing some absolutely stunning operatic music!
This opera is based on a rather twisted version of Queen Cristina's life.
And stunning the music is. It forms no less than a bridge between Donizetti and early Verdi.
It is just too bad that the composer died far too early in cholera.
Please do note that this is a complete studio recording. With the right kind of support, this kind of recording is still possible to make.
It has been a massive undertaking. Every second recorded though was worth it. You are soon to discover.
All the best and lot of seasonal greetings.
In January 1849, while conducting a variety of Italian operas at 'the smaller theatre scene' in Stockholm
for the Vincenzo Galli opera company, Jacopo Foroni started his work on the opera build on Cristina, queen of
Sweden. This was primarily to introduce himself to Swedish audiences, but was also a tribute to the monarch who
had abdicated, converted to Catholicism, and left her homeland for Italy.
The opera is about Queen Cristina's abdication and tells the story in five scenes.
(Love, Marriage, Conspiracy, The Lost dream, Abdication)
In true 19th century fashion the cause of the abdication was not her conversion to catholicism but her love
of Magnus Gabriele and the future King Carl Gustav
Cast: Cristina, Queen of sweden - Liine Carlsson, soprano Maria Euphrosina, Gabrieles love - Ann-Kristin Jones, mezzo Axel Oxenstjerna, chancellor - Kosma Ranuer, baritone Erik, his son - Iwar Bergkwist, tenor Gabriele, Christinas favourite - Daniel Johansson, tenor Carl Gustav, successor to the trone - Fredrik Zetterström, bariton
Jacopo Foroni (1825 - 1858)
Cristina Regina di Svezia
1. part - Love - Introduction . L'inno levate, o Poplo . Augusta donna il cenno tou compiuto . A tanto sorriso - Romance e Duetto . Le fredde goccie dell' uomo che muor . O, Gabriele!
2. part - Wedlock - Coro avanti Finale 1 . Voci ascose dell' aure odorato - Finale atto 1 . Onde tal fremito tale mestizia?
3. part - The conspiracy - Introduzione Preludio e Romanza . Voga, voga pescator . Perchè nel rivederti, o materna mia terra
- Congiura . Giungrmmo inosservati
4. part - Disillusion - Duetto . Dispogliata del serto e d'una corte . Altra fiamma dei Wasa più degna . Per la vita del vecchio cadente - Finale dell' atto secondo . Armi, fuoco . Alma rea che finto amore
. Il Consiglio s'aduni e decida
5. part - Abdication - Duetto . O tu genio de' secoli che furo . Poichè l'avita gloria . Vorrei poter di raggi del sol gemmarti . Il Consiglio s'aduna... - Coro e Romanza . Nel tempio delle leggi e del rigor . Già de' miei giorni amari - Finale dell' atto terso . Ogni delitto non ammenda la morte . Tu che la patria mia